FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This section contains answers to our most frequently asked questions, such as how and which nutrients should be mixed or combined, or questions about appearance, smell or texture of our liquid fertilizers.
It is very likely that the answers to your questions are explained below. If you cannot find your answer, you may send your question to our Product Specialists using on our contact page.
1. What do I need to know before I get started?Shake all Earth Juice Liquid Fertilizer products vigorously before each use.
2. Can the Earth Juice Original Grow & Bloom Liquid Fertilizers be used in automated hydroponic systems?Earth Juice Original Grow & Bloom Liquid Fertilizers are recommended for hand-feeding only. Please visit the products section for the specific products.
3. What Earth Juice nutrient lines do you recommend for hydroponics?Sugar Peak and Elements are all excellent choices. They are also superb choices for hand-feeding applications. Please visit the products section for the specific products.
4. What’s the shelf life of Earth Juice/Hydro-Organic Products?
Earth Juice liquids, granulars and solubles have an indefinite shelf life.
Only products containing Mycorrhizae and/or Microbes have expiration dating. *Expiration dating does not apply to any actual fertilizing materials (active ingredients), which are not affected.
Earth Juice Sugar Peak may develop sugar crystal deposits which will not alter the effectiveness of the products.
5. I’m hand-feeding my plants with Earth Juice Grow, so do I need to aerate the Earth Juice solution before using?It is not necessary to aerate. Simply mix it with water and feed your plants. You can aerate prior to using if you choose; aeration is a great way of conditioning organic nutrients.
6. Do I need to aerate my hydroponic reservoir?For best results, we recommend to continuously aerate reservoir solutions with a high quality air pump. It is especially recommended when using Earth Juice Sugar Peak.
7. Is it necessary to change my reservoir when using Earth Juice hydroponic nutrients?We recommend keeping systems fresh by draining, flushing lines, if necessary, and adding fresh solution every 14-28 days.
8. I just bought a brand new, unopened, bottle of Earth Juice Bloom and it does not shake, is it solid?
It is not solid and it will shake and pour. The fluid in Earth Juice Bloom will not, and is not, able to dissipate, evaporate or disappear. The material left after the initial filling can, at times, temporarily adhere to the bottom of the bottle, giving the product the feel of being solid. By following these steps the product will become an easy-pour liquid.
A. Make sure the cap is properly and tightly secure.
B. Turn the bottle upside down and give it a good 5-10 second shake.
If it material does not seem to (feel or sound) be letting loose, carefully strike the bottom of the bottle with the heel of your hand or give it a couple of light taps with a rubber mallet and shake again.
C. Once it has been thoroughly mixed/shaken, thereafter it will remain in a more fluid state. A good vigorous shake during the initial stocking/shelving, with a follow up shake in 1-2 weeks, will help keep the product in a fluid state.
9. My gallon bottle of Earth Juice Bloom has turned thick?This can occur if the product has not been properly mixed before each use. When standing, the heavier organic materials will settle out and the lighter materials and liquid will rise to the top. If the bottle is not thoroughly shaken before each use, the liquid will eventually be poured off and what will remain will be the heavier, thicker material.
10. There’s a thick mass of sediment in my bottle of Earth Juice Bloom, can I dilute the concentrate in the bottle with water?
Yes! The formula can be reconstituted but only very carefully with Distilled Water Only and by using the following directions: This procedure can be used to reconstitute Earth Juice Bloom and Grow formulas
A. Use Only Distilled Water.
B. Do not use more Distilled Water than 25% (1/4th) of the original volume of the bottle.
C. Add the Distilled Water and shake or stir until the mass of sediment has completely dispersed into the solution.
D. Leaving the cap off, place a piece of cloth over the opening allowing the bottle to breathe for 24 hours.
E. After 24 hours, replace and tighten the cap, shake well and it is ready to use.
F. May be used at 25% over the recommended use rates.
G. Shake Vigorously Before Each Use
11. My bottle of Meta-K contains pieces that when shaken sound like glass?
Sediment may occur in this product. The sediment can range from silt to small brittle segments (pieces) that can be heard upon shaking. This is normal and it will not affect the product’s performance.
Meta-K is derived from a natural mined source of potassium and the quantity of sediment that can develop from using this natural source varies due to conditions beyond our control.
12. My new bottle of Earth Juice Xatalyst has sort of an off, sour odor. Is it good to use?Earth Juice Xatalyst, Grow & Bloom all can exhibit slightly earthy to sharp-sour aromatic tones. The aromatics are primarily a combination of the natural ingredients and predominately the “Earth Juice Yeast Complex.” The yeast has a naturally sharp-sour odor. The aromatics will vary somewhat from batch to batch. As three of these products age in the bottle. The sharp-sour notes generally reduce and mellow over time. As long as, prior to opening a brand new bottle, the bottle is not noticeably swollen, the aromatics, sharpness or sourness will not hamper or change the effectiveness of the products.
13. I’m using Sugar Peak and the pH of my reservoir solutions is low.
When using Sugar Peak, Hi-Brix Grow & Bloom & Sweet & Heavy we recommend mixing the concentrate as per directions with Tap Water and then take an initial pH reading. Make sure to continuously aerate the solution and use the system as normal. After the first 24 hours, take a 2nd pH reading. At that time if you believe the pH of the solution needs to be raised, we recommend adjusting in small increments until you reach the desired pH.
After being mixed with Tap Water, many Earth Juice hydroponic products will begin on the acidic side. After 24-48 hours of aeration and use, the solution will generally exhibit an upward movement in pH.
We caution using pH-up adjusters during the initial 24-48 hour period. But if solution’s pH does not exhibit upward movement, the next time you produce a fresh solution try initially adjusting to pH 4.5-4.8. If after 24-48 hours of aeration and use there is again no upward movement in the pH, adjust to the desired pH. In cases were there is no signs of upward movement in the fresh solution’s pH within first 24-48 hours of aeration and use, you may need to adjust the pH initially to the desired pH. Do not let the pH exceed 6.8. If the pH exceeds 6.8, lower the pH the desired pH.
14. I mixed a solution using the Earth Juice Original Formulas “Advanced Chart” and my pH is 3.90?
Earth Juice will work in harmony with the medium and self adjust.
Since 1991, the mass majority of gardeners – including us – who use the Earth Juice Original formulas simply mix with water and use without adjusting the pH.
The initial pH of Earth Juice Original formulas will generally be on the mild acidic side. This is primarily due to the natural extracts, phyto-acids and protein (amino) acids contained in Earth Juice formulas. Earth Juice will self-adjust as it breaks down in the medium. In general terms: primarily by releasing naturally chelated Calcium along with Potassium and natural occurring beneficials. These various elements will aid in buffering the natural and beneficial phyto-acids (weak acids).
If you prefer to adjust the pH prior to using here are several suggestions or options:
- Always mix with potable Tap Water and use a high-quality professional planting mix that contains pH adjusters: lime, dolomite, oyster shell, etc.
- Aerate the solution for 12-24 hours. After the aeration period, if the solution exhibits an increase in the pH, do not adjust and use as-is. If there is no increase in the pH, adjust to the desired pH and use. For the next mix, prior to the aeration process, adjust the pH to 4.5 followed by aerating for 12-24 hours. After this period, if there is no increase in pH, adjust to desired pH and use.
- Add, with caution, a liming material to the medium: dolomite, oyster shell, etc.
- See the Earth Juice “Advanced Plus” chart. The initial pH using the “Advanced Plus” chart will generally be a bit higher.
- Try a partial substitution of Earth Juice Big Bloomin’ for proportions of the Earth Juice Bloom. Example: 1 tsp/gal Earth Juice Bloom + 3 tsp/gal Big Bloomin’. Use Big Bloomin’ during the Vegetative period at 1-3 tsp/gal.
- To keep it easy without any worries, use Amazon Bloom as your medium and follow the Amazon Bloom “Keep It Simple” chart.
15. Do I need to use reverse osmosis?It is recommended to have water analysis by a professional service When using Earth Juice plant nutrients, we recommend using good tap water whenever possible. Rule of Thumb: If the tap water is considered potable and is being applied to outdoor landscape and houseplants without any adverse affects on plants or turf, it is reasonable to say the water is OK for use with Earth Juice.
16. I’m using Sugar Peak & Xatalyst and my reservoir has a thin film, mostly around the edges?Reservoirs may develop a thin film on the surface and/or at the edges with using many of our hydroponic nutrients and additives. These are harmless naturally-occurring materials containing many of the same beneficials that are found in best compost teas.
17. Can I, or should I, use Earth Juice Xatalyst with other plant nutrients?Yes. Xatalyst is the number one hydroponic additive in the world! It will improve the performance and effectiveness of all soil and hydroponic nutrients.
18. When should I start using goGnats?Start applications prior to pest infestations when conditions for the development of pest problems are prevalent.
19. I added goGnats, as per the manufacturer’s directions, to several 55-gallon water reservoirs. Immediately after being mechanically mixed, strands of a fatty-like substance appeared to be floating at the top?These strands or beads are food grade and natural materials that, due to various conditions, may develop. They will not reduce the product’s overall performance and effectiveness.
20. Can I use Hi-Brix Molasses For Plants (MFP) during the leaf growth/blooming phase?Yes. We highly recommend using Hi-Brix MFP through all phases of plant growth. It contains elements that are beneficial for plants through all phases of plant development. For ultimate results, use in conjunction with Xatalyst. Try using Hi-Brix MFP on your lawn.
21. Solution Grade leaves a residue in my tank?
Solution Grade is micro-fine, and although it is considered solution grade, it is not a water soluble salt.
When using, add to a volume of water, agitate and use immediately. Stock tanks/reservoirs: agitate just prior to and during applications. Sprayers, bubblers and various other emitters: you will need to use emitters that will permit the material to pass freely. For best results we recommend to continuously aerate stock tanks/reservoirs. To improve the performance of Solution Grade use in conjunction with Earth Juice Xatalyst.
22. I used a syringe for measuring out all of my plant nutrients and my bottle of Meta-K is starting to smell funky?The practice of dipping a measuring and application device directly into the bottles of various natural-organic liquid concentrates will lead to cross contaminations. Added to that is the fact that syringes are very difficult to completely clean residue and sanitize will only increases this risk. The results of cross-contamination of liquid natural-organic products can lead to the development of malodors. It is best to use measuring devices that require you to pour the liquid out of the container and those that can be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after using.
23. Do I need SeaBlast Transition? Can I just mix a solution of 50% Grow and 50% Bloom formulas and get the same results?
Depending on the products you can probably do quite nicely with a blend of Grow & Bloom formulas but you will not achieve the same type of superior results as with using SeaBlast Transition during this important phase of a production plant’s development.
SeaBlast Transition is formulated and designed to be applied during that critical period when there is a need for increased stem growth (elongation) and a boost in the production of buds (flowers). A general solution composed of a Grow & Bloom formulas used together will not provide the optimal nutrient balance to maximize this phase of a high production (flowering and fruiting) plant’s development.*Earth Juice “Transition” formulas are yet another “Exclusive” development in a long history of “Pioneering Innovations” in nutrient technologies from the “Creative Minds at Earth Juice”.
24. What kind of molasses do you use in your products?Only SugarCane Molasses.
25. I just looked at Hi-Brix Molasses For Plants (MFP) and the use rates are confusing to me. The label says for compost teas to use twice as much as the “heavy feeding” rates. I use compost teas almost every watering so would I be using too much at 4 Tbsp. per gallon, twice a week?
The use range for brewing teas can vary from 1 tsp to 4 Tbsp. per gallon. 4 Tbsp. is a general use rate to add to the initial tea preparation prior to starting the “aeration” and brewing process. If the tea is properly and completely brewed, you can use with each watering/feeding. Now if your tea is rich in carbohydrates and/or potassium you may try reducing the rate to 0.5 – 1 Tbsp. per gallon.
To kick start and to improve any tea, use Earth Juice Xatalyst.
26. Hi-Brix MFP does not smell sweet, it’s sort of sour. Should I return it to the store?
No need to return. That’s normal for Hi-Brix Molasses For Plants.
Some of our customers are curious about the strong aroma the Hi-Brix Molasses. A lot of the folks are expecting this product to have kind of a sugary or sweet smell. This is probably because they are used to similar products on the market that just use artificial sweeteners or sugared water as an ingredient.
Earth Juice Hi-Brix Molasses uses genuine raw molasses. It gives an aroma similar to that of old-fashioned brown licorice, which uses traditional molasses as its key ingredient. Don’t be confused with run-of-the-mill supermarket black licorice, which uses cheap corn syrup as the one of its main sweetening agents. Some even say that the aromatics remind them of Bar-B-Que sauce. Actually, many of the better Bar-B-Que sauces pride themselves in using real molasses. Remember, when you open your Earth Juice Hi-Brix Molasses and smell the slightly strong, old-fashioned brown licorice aroma, you know you are getting the good stuff that will make your plants thrive.
*Please note, the various batches of Hi-Brix MFP can range from fairly weak to somewhat strong.
27. My new unopened bottle of Hi-Brix is bloating?
When stored in direct sunlight, a hot area or near a heat source, the bottles may exhibit signs of expansion/bloating. When this happens, open and release the pressure. Close and store out of direct sunlight away from any heat source, such as heating ducts/vents, in a cool area, ideally in an area with maximum temperatures in the 60’s.
It will take bottles about a week to completely cool down and return to their original condition.
To speed up the process, try placing the bottle in a refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove and store out of direct sunlight, away from any heat source and in the coolest area available.
*When stored at extremely low temperatures the molasses will thicken to a point that it will no longer flow. If this happens, place the bottle in a pan of hot water for few minutes.
28. Do I need to add Calcium when using Earth Juice Grow & Bloom?Earth Juice Grow contains approximately 1-2% Ca. Earth Juice Bloom approximately 4-5% Ca.
29. Why are my plant’s leaves yellowing after switching from a synthetic 3-2-1 nutrient to Earth Juice Grow?
– The flushing with straight water will dilute and/or rinse the present nutrients from the soil which could be helpful but could also be stressing your plants. Now you will have to wait until the soil dries out, which may further stress your plants.
– 5 tsp of a 3% N synthetic is on the higher side of hand feeding plants with a plant food with each watering but if you plants are thriving at this dosage rate they must be very aggressive feeders. If this is the case, to obtain the same rate of Nitrogen using Earth Juice Grow you will need to use 7.5 tsp (2.5 Tbsp.). Earth Juice Grow is a protein (amino acid) based grow plant food so you can easily increase the dosage rates without the fear of burning.
Here’s the general usage guidelines for Earth Juice Grow Bloom to be used with each watering (feeding): Mild:1/2Tbsp – Medium:1Tbsp – Strong: 2Tbsp – Extra Strong 3Tbsp.
For fast growing plants a common rate is 2 Tbsp. per gallon.
30. I am using Sugar Peak at 30ml per gallon and my leaves are yellowing?
Presuming you are in soil and are hand-feeding with the Sugar Peak Vegetative formula, first read the instructions on the label that state for hand-feeding use at 1/2 strength. The recommended strength for a Recovery System (hydroponics) is 4 tsp (20ml) per gallon. 1/2 strength would be 10ml to be used at each watering (feeding). At 30 ml/g you are currently using 238ppm of Nitrogen, which is at the higher end of Nitrogen requirements for most container plants especially if using with each watering (feeding). So it is not a Nitrogen deficiency.
Other common causes of yellowing: Insufficient or shaded lighting and/or over watering. If only the lower leaves are yellowing and you are using the Sugar Peak Vegetative at 30ml/g this could be from insufficient lighting. The general signs of over watering are yellowing progressing to the top of the plant following by leaves drying out and becoming brittle. Suggestions to prevent over watering:
– Use a breathable container.
– When transplanting starts, do not transplant into too large of a container. The “Rule of Thumb” when transplanting starts is to not increase the container size by more than 3 times the volume of the starts current/original container. NOTE: If you want to move into a larger container, do so with caution by making sure to use a breathable container, increase aeration (see Aerorock), make sure there is sufficient lighting, good air movement, and use a moisture meter to determine when to water (feed).
31. I notice there is a contradiction in the recommended “frequency of use” rates between the charts and instructions listed on your site vs what is listed on the bottles?
– Most of the Earth Juice products are very forgiving and allow for wide variations in rates and frequencies of use.
– The charts are only general guidelines.
The charts vary due to the fertilizer combinations. For example Meta-K: The label directions are for using alone and/or in combination with the most typical fertilizers and media. The chart recommendations for Meta-K take into consideration the TOTAL COMBINATION of the following fertilizers/supplements: Earth Juice Grow, Earth Juice Bloom, Big Bloomin’ Guano, Xatalyst, and MicroBlast.
32. I’m using your SeaBlast nutrients – they are great! Should I be using anything else with them?To really experience the total effectiveness of SeaBlast, add Catalyst with each feeding at a minimum of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of SeaBlast feeding solution. The second recommendation would be to include BioRighteous.
33. Do I need to use your Elements Cal-n-Mag with the Sugar Peak formulas?
No. Sugar Peak covers most plants requirements of Calcium and Magnesium.
Elements Cal-n-Mag is compatible with and can be used with Sugar Peak for additional quantities of Calcium and Magnesium that may be required by some types of plants.
34. I sprayed my plants with goGnats and the next day I noticed a whitish residue on my plants?This is normal. The white residue is harmless. If you choose, you can rinse the residue off with plain water.
35. How much feeding solution will a gallon of Elements make?
There are four formulas in the Elements line. Here are the general use rates and quantities that a gallon (3.78 L) of each of various Elements formulas can produce:
Formula Teaspoons per gallon of water Feeding solution Elements Grow 0.25 – 0.75 tsp 3028-2271 Gal (11,460 – 8,595L) Elements Bloom 0.25 – 1.5 tsp 3028-1135 Gal (11,460 – 4,297L) Elements Micro 0.25 – 2 tsp 3072-1152 Gal (11,653 – 4,360L) Elements Cal-Mag 0.25 – 1.75 tsp 3028-974 Gal (11,460 – 3,682L)
36. What is a hydroponic “recovery” system?
A recovery system is a re-circulating system that recovers the liquid plant feeding solution that has passed through the growing containers/media and has drained back into the reservoir to be recirculated and used repeatedly.
Non-recovery system is a non-recirculating system.
Hand-feeding is when liquid plant feeding solutions are applied manually.
37. How many Liters of feed can I make with SeaBlast Grow?
The following sizes of SeaBlast can make up to the following Liters (Gallons):
10.4 oz.: 798 L (216 Gal)
2 lb.: 2457 L (649 Gal)
5 lb.: 6141 L (1623 Gal)
20 lb.: 24565 L (6490 GL)
40 lb.: 49131 L (12980 GL)
38. I’m in soil and after every few feedings I flush the soil with just straight water. Do I need to adjust the water’s pH?No. With good water it is generally considered to be unnecessary.
39. Can I use SeaBlast as a foliar spray?
Yes. General use rate: ¼- ½ teaspoon per gallon.
*Rule of thumb when applying any material as a foliar: Test on a few specimen leaves and observe for any signs of stress for 24 hours before using. Only use if plants display no signs of stress.
40. During the vegetative period I was using 1 Tbsp. of Earth Juice Grow + ½ tsp of Xatalyst and the plant’s leaves were green. During flowering I’m feeding at Earth Juice Grow ½ Tbsp. + Earth Juice Bloom 1 Tbsp. + Xatalyst ½ tsp and now seeing yellowing of the lower leaves?For large aggressive plants in proper high lighting levels or full sunlight, try increasing the Earth Juice Grow to 1 Tbsp. and decrease the Earth Juice Bloom to ½ Tbsp. per gallon of water. Another option: Every other or every third feeding only use Earth Juice Grow at 1.5-2 Tbsp. per gallon of water. To improve both greening and flowering, include Earth Juice Microblast.
41. My bottle of Microblast has sucked in and when I opened it I can see a brownish substance floating?
Both are normal for Microblast.
Panel sink (sucking in of plastic bottles) is common for many products. There are many causes, none of which have any negative effect on the product. Please see our video concerning panel sink.
Floating substances is caused by the tendency for some of the natural materials to conglomerate and gel at times. This is more noticeable after periods of storage and/or during cooler temperatures. The easy remedy is to Shake Vigorously Before Each Use.
42. There is a crusty build-up on the neck my bottle of Earth Juice Bloom.Earth Juice Bloom also contains good qualities of approximately 4-5% Calcium which is combined with molasses, seaweed and other naturally adhering elements. Deposits will form around (inside/outside) the neck of the bottle. The crusty buildup does affect the quality or the performance of the product.
43. What are dilution ratios for Hi-Brix Molasses For Plants MFP?–Mild 1tsp (5ml) 1:750 –Medium 1Tbsp (15ml) 1:250 –Strong 2Tbsp (30ml) 1:125
44. THE INSTRUCTIONS: “USE WITH EACH WATERING (FEEDING)” I INTERPRET AS MEANING FEEDING WITH EACH WATERING. IN ESSENCE FEEDING EACH AND EVERY TIME USING THE CHART DOSAGES AS A ROUGH GUIDELINE?Yes, you are correct. Every time your plant needs to be watered, feed with an Earth Juice solution instead of just straight water.
45. SeaBlast leaves a deposit. After mixing, I’m getting a deposit of some sort in the bottom of my bucket. Is this a bad bag of SeaBlast?
When using natural-organics elements, residue settling will occur. The presence of residue will vary due to the variations in the guanos, humates, etc. During longer periods of storage you may experience some organic odors.
The residue is mostly composed of non-nutritive elements. The primary nutrients are in readied soluble form. The settling does not affect the overall effectiveness or performance of the nutrients. SeaBlast is highly concentrated, very strong. 0.65 to 2.5 ml per gallon is all it takes to provide thriving plants with bumper yields.
Always work starting with the lowest recommended use rates. Mix to the desired volume of water.
Agitate before and during each use. For best results, continuously aerate stock solutions.
Properly dispose or apply it as a top dressing to the soil. Apply a thin layer around plant and work into just under the soil, about 1/8” is enough.
46. What do the following directions mean? Frequency: Use with each watering (feeding) or as needed?
Every time you irrigate/water your plants, use an Earth Juice feeding solution.
“As needed” refers to knowing your plants and feeding them when they exhibit signs of less vigor and/or less blooms.
47. Will goGnats kill soil microbes?goGnats will not affect soil microbes and does not contain any poisons or anti-microbe fungi.